Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 124- Day 3

A year with Jane Day 3


So this is Celery ramen. 

1/2 a celery stock
2 chopped green onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cole slaw mix {red cabbage, lettuce, carrot}
1 cup water
1 package of mushroom ramen

I wasn't sure how the cole slaw mix would work but it gave it just enough bulk that it made it a nice change from plan packaged ramen.  I did the celery and green onion in the oil before adding the garlic.  It caramelized just enough that it had a slight molasses taste.  

I took the two movie versions of Mansfield Park over to mom's this week. I took a version of Emma and Pride and Prejudice there too. 
My mother is infamous for hating everything, specially period movies and British ones.  So, taking a different Jane Austen film over to her place all week was an interesting project.

She loved P/P and the one version of MP.  The week before I had brought over the Jane Austen Book Club and she seemed to pay attention to it.  What I did not tell her is that I've brought that one in the past to her place and she's watched it.  My mom is the type who will watch half a movie declare she hates it, and then awhile later see it on tv and claim it to be her most favourite movie ever.   I think it depends on her mood.

Anyways, she liked the idea of JABC because of the storyline of the character Sylvia. Which is the mix of Mansfield Park and Persuasion.
She loved the Frances O'Conner version of MP.  Which, I have to admit is my favourite movie version too. 
I had taken the Keira Knightley version of P/P.  She loved the fact it was more a comedy.

What did I learn this week from this little experiment?  
Never say never.   Just because something or someone at first glance seems to be one thing, does not mean you're getting the full and honest story.   Just like Elizabeth Bennett learns in P/P about her views on Wickham and Mr. Darcy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment