Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 313

They say, what we reach for in life reaches for us.
I'm finding that really hard to believe right now.  I've been reaching for the right relationship for as long as I can remember, but I've yet to see any progress.
I'm sure there's some sort of progress, just nothing I've seen.

I find myself watching cartoons constantly as of late.  Not on purpose either.  Seems, I can't get away from my 6 year old cousin.  She's always here, at my mother's.
Sort of feel sorry for the kid, as she's always shuffled around.  This morning, she announced that she wasn't going to go to school/daycare.  And that was it.  She called my uncle at work and said she didn't want to go and he said okay no problem.

Now, if that had been me or my sister when we were her age, our mother would have gotten us ready kicking and screaming and walked us there herself.  There was none of this staying home for no medical reason.
I can't believe I found myself saying this morning to my cousin "when I was your age there was no choice in the matter. Come rain or snow I had to go and I had to walk there and back"

You know, one of those five miles up hill in a snow storm stories that our parents and grandparents used to tell us.  The kind that get made fun of in movies.

She just looked at me and laughed and asked why didn't I just say I didn't want to go?

Really?  Have things gotten to that point where a 6 year old is running the house hold or is my cousin just that spoiled?


No comments:

Post a Comment