Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 27

In the movie version of Under the Tuscan Sun,   the lead character Frances  starts off in the movie as a writer who instead of working on her own novel, is doing reviews of other people's very blissfully.
Then her world falls apart.  It takes her nearly two years before she makes any real changes in her life and moves to Italy. There she finds herself again, love, and her own writer's voice. There is no mention of her reviewer's job again till the end of the movie when not only does a damaged box of books arrives by mail, but she meets another writer who's book she gave a bad review to.

Something tells me I need to get myself a copy of the book it's based on.  Just the fact it's based on a real life. 
It's too similar to my life.   I review other people's books, (do not get paid for it would like to though) have no idea what to do about my own novel (been working on it for two years and just can't anymore) I haven't been on a trip in almost 4 years, need to move somewhere where the landlord actually bothers to fix stuff. 
I'm broke. On disability.   Have to wait for the city disability to find me a new apartment.  Been on a wait list for two years.

What I wouldn't give to be able to just... go.  Just stuff a few things in a small overnight bag and leave.  Maybe get some inspiration for my own writing again. 

As I said, I've been working on my novel now for two years.  I've gotten to the point where my own characters are boring me.  I wonder if I should just leave it as is and move on to start a new novel?
I feel bad about that, I've been working on these characters for so long, it feels like cheating.
Besides, nothing has inspired me in a very long time.  Afraid to call this writer's block even. More like writer's drought.

I think a trip somewhere else is the answer. Fresh people, fresh trees/seaside/air.  Just have no idea how to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment